CanPower – Power Skating Program
- Action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program geared to hockey and ringette skaters
- Focused on balance, power, agility, speed and endurance
- Groupings are based upon skill levels
o Pre-CanPowerSkate: Developing basic skating skills (CanSkate Stage 4 entry)
o Levels 1 to 3: Developing and improving fundamentals of skating;
o Levels 4 to 6: Acquisition of efficient technique, speed, agility, technical aspects of stride and acceleration and skating with the puck/ring.
Pre-CanPowerSkate – Full Gear & Stick
The program develops basic skating skills in a power skating-specific environment, including balance, forward and backward skating, stopping, turning and agility.
CanPowerSkate – Full Gear & Stick
Emphasized skills are:
- Level 1 – Forward and Backward skating, Forward and Backward stopping and tight turns. (approximate Hockey 2 – 3)
- Level 2 – Forward and Backward crossovers, quick starts and Backward to Forward 180 pivot turns (approximate Hockey 3 – 4)
- Level 3 – Fast forward crossover starts, Forward to backward 180 pivot turns, reverse pivot turns, and 1 foot back stops with a quick start. (Atom or coach approval)
- Level 4 – Knee spin-o-rama, Forward side stop/start 1ft, circle work (agility), 360 tight glide turns, reverse 360 pivot turns, forward crossover-quick change of direction.
As well as the individual skills, all levels focus on developing balance, power and endurance. All levels conclude with a test designed to evaluate skills while performing a timed course.
CanPower/PreCanPower Spring Term:
Monday (CanPower) – 5:30pm – 6:15pm Facility – Ice Sports North Shore (ISNS) Rink 1
Wednesday (CanPower) – 4:15pm – 5:00pm Facility – Ice Sports North Shore (ISNS) Rink 1
**All skaters are charged the annual Skate Canada Membership Fee $36 – term (Start Sep – end Aug)
CanPower – Director of Programs: Lee Boyd